The Wide Awake Club Library was founded in 1897 by a group of concerned and far-sighted women headed by Mary Crowley, then principal of Fillmore School. Since the inception of the Wide Awake Club, the ladies of the club have dedicated their work to the sustenance and preservation of the Library. Funding for the library comes from donations, memorials and the taxpayers of the Fillmore Central School district.
The present building was opened in 1974. Students from Fillmore Central School carried all the books from the former site on South Genesee St.
A seven–member Board of Trustees oversees the operation, planning and policy of the Library. The Library is staffed by a Director, a Manager, and a dedicated staff of library volunteers.